Mustard & Coffee Gravlax
Makes 10 portions
- 1 salmon filet (approx. 2lbs) with the skin and fish-bones removed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons white peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 3 large bunches of fresh dill with the stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bunch of fresh coriander with the stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of honey mustard
- 1½ tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup of grape seed oil
- ½ cup of freshly ground coffee
In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, salt and peppercorns. Place the salmon in a shallow dish, and rub a handful of the mixture on both sides of the fish. With the skin side down, spread the remaining salt mixture on the salmon, cover with the chopped fresh herbs and ground coffee. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 days.
In a blender, mix the two types of mustard, 2 teaspoons of sugar, ¼ teaspoon of salt, vinegar and pepper. Add the grape seed oil in a steady stream, while mixing constantly. Once the mixture becomes creamy, add a little of the chopped dill and coriander, then refrigerate for a few hours, allowing all the flavors to blend together.
To serve, remove all the dry marinate and thinly slice the salmon, starting from the tail. Place the slices on a plate then garnish with lemons, limes, fresh herbs, coarsely ground peppercorns and a well chilled sauce on the side.